Here you will find sources of information such as market research (statistics, trends, developments), key companies, trade magazines, newsletters, and Internet sources.
This guide will be useful to anyone starting a business within the vegan or vegetarian industry and also for those wanting to further their knowledge within this area.
The Cobra database contains practical fact-sheets on all aspects of starting, running and managing a small business – including information on writing business plans, marketing, company structures etc.
It also covers the practical aspects of how to start and run particular types of businesses – outlining necessary skills, regulations, licences and legislation etc. and highlights other sources of information and advice available.
Business Opportunity Profiles (BOP)
|Health Food Shop||BOP011|
Mini-Business Opportunity Profiles (MBP)
|Raw Food Café||MBP121|
|Vegetable Box Scheme||MBP154|
|Homemade Soup Producer||MBP251|
|Food and Grocery Retail||SEC008|
|Restaurants and Foodservice||SYN092|
Market Research & Statistics
If you are planning on starting a business you will need to be aware of the latest trends, developments and opportunities within your industry which can all be found from market research.
Market research also covers market size and forecasts, consumer demographics and attitudes, the key players and products and will often include SWOT and PEST analysis showing areas of strength, weakness, opportunities etc.
- Full-Service Restaurants in the UK– Market Research Report (2020)
- Meat Product Manufacturing in the UK- Market Research Report (2020)
- Chocolate & Confectionery Production in the UK (2020)
- Bakery Product Retailing in the UK (2020)
- Prepared Meal Manufacturing in the UK (2021)
- Cafes & Coffee Shops in the UK (2020)
- Butter & Cheese Production in the UK (2020)
- Attitudes towards Healthy Eating – UK- February 2020
- Menu Trends – UK – January 2021
- Free-from Foods – UK – February 2020
- Attitudes towards Cooking in the Home: Inc Impact of COVID-19 – UK – December 2020
- The Impact of COVID-19 on Food and Drink – UK – June 2020
- Colour Cosmetics: Inc Impact of COVID-19 – UK – July 2020
- Breakfast Eating Habits: Inc Impact of COVID-19 – UK
- Cheese: Inc Impact of COVID-19 – UK – October 2020
- Desserts – UK – April 2019
- Eating Out: The Decision Making Process – UK – July 2019
- Ethnic Restaurants and Takeaways – UK – February 2019
- Meat-free foods – UK – November 2019
- Global Vegan Food Market (2019-2026)
- Global Vegan Cheese Market (2021-2027)
- Global Vegan Ice Cream Market (2019-2027)
- Global Fermented Ingredients Market – Growth, Trends, and Forecasts (2020 – 2025)
- Global Gluten Free Products Market, (2020-2027)
- Global Free From Food Market (2019-2026)
- Plant-based Meat Market – Global Outlook Forecast (2020-2025)
- Global Soy Protein Ingredients Market- Growth, Trends, and Forecast (2020 – 2025)
- Global Plant Protein Market – Growth, Trends and Forecast (2020 – 2025)
- Global Oat Milk Market, 2020-2027
- Global Protein Alternatives Market (2019-2024)
- Global Potato Protein Market, 2019-2026
Please note that EMIS has a large series of vegan, vegetarian and free from industry, articles and statistics from countries around the world.
- The Rise of Vegan and Vegetarian Food
- New Concepts in Consumer Foodservice: Next-Gen Technologies
- Consumer Health in The United Kingdom
- Going Vegan for Weight Loss and Heart Health
- Healthy Living
- Meat Substitutes Going Mainstream in Germany: A New Era of Vegetarian Products?
- Naturally Healthy Packaged Food in The United Kingdom
- Raw Food, Protein and “A Little Bit Vegan” Cafés/Bars in the United Kingdom
- Supplements sector sprouts vegetarian variants
- Vegetarianism and Other Meat-Restricted Diets
- Top 5 Countries with the Largest Vegetarian Populations
Local Data Online
Provides a birds-eye view of the makeup and complexity of the retail and leisure offering in a chosen location.
Review key trends over time:
- Vacancy rates
- Occupancy trends
- Retail mix
Understand demand profiles through demographic data such as:
- Employment statistics
- Average weekly earnings
- Crime rates
- House prices
Also, contact details and individual reports of companies in the digital communications industry are available from our electronic sources: Market IQ.
Business News & Journals
In order to find the latest news on your topic it is always worth searching NewsBank and EMIS.
You will find articles from specialist business and academic journals, as well as newspapers and magazines. You may also find market research reports and case studies. As well as profiles of leading industry figures.
You will also find articles covering recent developments, and predicting future trends in your industry.
Websites containing free sources of industry statistics, information and contacts.
A website providing access to reports, news and event information from all sectors of the food industry. Includes an international directory of products and suppliers.
Represents the broad hospitality sector – covering everything from bars, coffee shops, contract catering, hotels, nightclubs, visitor attractions and other leisure venues.
An independent Government department that provides businesses with news, reports, guidance and information in relation to food safety.
Concerned with the development and improvement of potato chips, edible nuts and snack food products in Europe.
This is a trade publication aimed at owners and managers of restaurants that features trade news, updates and reviews.
Registered educational charity, providing guidance, information, and facts on all things vegan.
A provider of market and consumer data.
Inspiring vegan start-up ideas.
Global vegan business magazine showing trends, companies, market reports, entrepreneurs and start-ups.
Provides ideas for plant based foods.
Support and expertise for a successful business.
Latest plant based news from around the world on food trends, product launches and interviews.
Please note that every effort has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the information, however some recently acquired items may since have been added to the collection. Please ask for help at the enquiry desk.
Images by Brina Blum, Deniz Altindas, Dose Juice under a Creative Commons license