Here you will find sources of information such as market research (statistics, trends, developments), key companies, trade magazines, newsletters, and Internet sources.
This guide will be useful to anyone starting a business within the cycling industry and also for those wanting to further their knowledge within this area.
The Cobra database contains practical fact-sheets on all aspects of starting, running and managing a small business – including information on writing business plans, marketing, company structures etc.
It also covers the practical aspects of how to start and run particular types of businesses – outlining necessary skills, regulations, licences and legislation etc. and highlights other sources of information and advice available.
Business Opportunity Profiles (BOP)
|Outdoor Activity Centre||BOP174|
|Outdoor Equipment Retailer||BOP543|
|Country Sports Retailer||BOP569|
Mini Business Opportunity Profiles (MBP)
|Bike and Watersports Equipment Hire||MBP373|
|Outdoor and Extreme Sports Instructor||MBP422|
Market Research & Statistics
If you are planning on starting a business you will need to be aware of the latest trends, developments and opportunities within your industry which can all be found from market research.
Market research also covers market size and forecasts, consumer demographics and attitudes, the key players and products and will often include SWOT and PEST analysis showing areas of strength, weakness, opportunities etc.
- Bicycle and Bicycle Part Market in United Kingdom to 2022 (Global Research & DataServices)
- Bicycles and Bicycle Parts Market in the World to 2024 (Global Research and Data Services)
- Global Bicycle Market – Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2020 – 2025 (Mordor Global Industry Reports)
- Sports Bicycle Market: Global Industry Analysis, Trends, Size, Share and Forecasts to 2026 (Infinitum – Global Industry Reports)
- Global E-bike Market – Growth, Trends, and Forecast (2020 – 2025) (Mordor Global Reports)
- Global E-Bike Battery Pack Market – Growth, Trends and Forecasts 2020 – 2025 (Mordor Global Industry Reports)
- Tyres Market in United Kingdom to 2024 (Global Research & Data Services)
- Tyres Market in the World to 2024 (Global Research & Data Services)
- Europe; Technology Innovation Award – Electric Bikes and Charging – Sep 2019
- European Bike Sharing Market, Forecast to 2025 – Nov 2016
- Government Push and Disruptive Technologies Driving Growth of the Global Bike-Sharing Market – Dec 2020
- Future of Smart Cities: Key City Profiles – Feb 2020
- Sporting and Outdoor Equipment Retailers in the UK Covers a broad range of sports sectors in the UK, including cycling among other popular general fitness sports.
- Cycling: Inc Impact of COVID-19
- Bicycles – UK – Mar 2017
- Bicycle Accessories – UK – Jun 2015
- Exercise Trends Inc Impact of COVID-19 – UK – July 2020
- Holiday Activities and Experiences Abroad – UK – February 2019
- Sports & Outdoor Fashion – UK – Dec 2018
- Sports Participation: Inc Impact of COVID-19 – UK – Oct 2019
Local Data Online
Provides a birds-eye view of the makeup and complexity of the retail and leisure offering in a chosen location.
Review key trends over time:
- Vacancy rates
- Occupancy trends
- Retail mix
Understand demand profiles through demographic data such as:
- Employment statistics
- Average weekly earnings
- Crime rates
- House prices
Also, contact details and individual reports of companies in the digital communications industry are available from our electronic sources: Market IQ.
Business News & Journals
In order to find the latest news on your topic it is always worth searching NewsBank and EMIS.
You will find articles from specialist business and academic journals, as well as newspapers and magazines. You may also find market research reports and case studies. As well as profiles of leading industry figures.
You will also find articles covering recent developments, and predicting future trends in your industry.
Websites containing free sources of industry statistics, information and contacts.
Operates a licensing scheme in the UK ensuring that activity providers follow good safety management practices.
A trade body representing independent cycle retailers in the UK. It produces industry updates and provides business support services for its members, who are listed on the Cycling Experts website.
The national body representing the bicycle industry in the UK; membership is open to bicycle manufacturers; manufacturers of bicycle accessories and components; distributors and wholesalers.
A trade association for private sector providers of activity holidays and courses in the UK.
The national governing body for cycle racing in Great Britain, formerly known as the British Cycling Federation; represens Britain at the world body, the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI).
Representing independent businesses. We’re proud to represent thousands of members across the UK, from single retail outlets to small chains, to large department stores and agricultural dealerships.
We are the national cycling charity. Our mission is to enable millions more people to cycle. Formerly known as the CTC, Cycling UK has championed cycling for more than 140 years. As well as supporting our members, we also play a prominent campaigning role, fighting to defend cyclists’ rights for safer roads, better infrastructure and legal protection.
Presents results relating to walking and cycling prevalence at local authority level in the UK.
Encourages outdoor learning by developing quality, safety and opportunity to experience outdoor activity provision.
Represents manufacturers, wholesalers and distributors of sporting goods in the UK. Brings together the power of the sports brands across many elements of sport.
An annual show for the cycling trade and cycling enthusiasts, featuring seminars, performances etc.
Expert road cycling reviews along with the latest road bike news, features and advice. Find rides & events, training articles and participate in our forums.
The charity responsible for the UK’s National Cycle Network and other cycling initiatives.
Please note that every effort has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the information, however some recently acquired items may since have been added to the collection. Please ask for help at the enquiry desk.